Montag, 22. August 2016

A Guide to Ibiza






This year I decided that I wanted to go on my first proper summer holiday. You know, sippin' cold drinks by the beach, watching stunning sunsets, going for refreshing dips in salty water and eating fresh fruit all day. Sounds fun? It does, and it is something I have never experienced in the 20 years of my life. Sure, I have been by the beach, I've also seen some pretty amazing sunsets and I'm basically eating fruits every day anyway, but never ever have I done all these things at once. Plus, I've never actually went swimming in the ocean. That's a fact!

So a couple of weeks ago my friend and me booked our flights to my favourite Spanish island: Ibiza. Well yeah, I've never been to any Spanish Island, but I've always wanted to explore Ibiza. I liked to believe that there is more about it than just party and night clubs and that is definitely the case!

Read on if you want to learn a bit more about what we've encountered and see more photos.

WHERE TO SLEEP:
Being two poor girls who need to travel on a budget, we went over to hostelworld.com, a website I'd always recommend for backpackers and people who want to watch their budget, and booked a twin room at the two star RED Hotel by Ibiza Feeling in San Antonio, the biggest city on the west coast of Ibiza and also the most popular city on Ibiza for party!
The hotel itself was situated perfectly. We could see the harbour from our balcony and were a five minute walk away from the bus station, which was perfect since we didn't have a car, but still wanted to explore different beaches and bays. Also, stepping out of the hotel's doors you're practically in town. That was nice and not so nice at the same time. Let's just say that the city is very alive and vibrant and trying to sleep in the centre of it all turned out to be harder than I thought.
Our room, anyhow, was spacious and clean, the bed was comfortable and we even had a bathtub!






WHERE TO EAT:
Walking down the promenade along the harbour you will find a lot of great international restaurants with fresh, delicious food. If you fancy a bit more of traditional Spanish food, tapas, paellas, etc. try and find the Eglisia of San Antonio's "old town" for some gorgeous little Spanish restaurants.
It's honestly so so easy to find something to eat and looking at most of the places you'll see immediately where you'd want to grab a bite. I was really surprised by the many vegetarian and even vegan choices most of the restaurants had. A plus for Ibiza!
One thing I loved about most of the restaurants: fresh juices. Heaven!



WHERE TO GO:

Sunset Strip, San Antonio

Personally I don't think that San Antonio is one of the pretty Spanish towns I imagined when thinking about Ibiza. That was then confirmed when we took a day trip to Eivissa, Ibiza town, which was just stunning. Anyway, San Antonio is a city on the west coast of Ibiza and if you paid a bit of attention in geography class in school, you might know that this means that the sun would set exactly there. And oh yes, we did get some flippin' good sunsets.
One place to enjoy the sunset definitely is the (surprise) Sunset Strip in San Antonio. A street along the seaside filled with cafés and, within that, the famous Café Mambo. Once you walk down there shortly before the sunset the whole place is crowded with people eating and drinking, or sitting on rocks. And then the show begins. And oh, it is a good one. Sit down, grab a drink, relax and watch the sun disappearing into the ocean. It's glorious.













Cala Conte

Being beach babes, we definitely wanted to explore different bays and beaches along the west coast and the first on we properly went to was Cala Conte. Famous for its incredible sunsets with the iconic Sunset Ashram, a café on top of a rock overlooking the beaches. Pretty sweet to see. Sadly, we didn't make it to see the sunset and when we went a storm with lightning came up and made us go home early. Still, I think it's a must if you're in San Antonio.





Cala Bassa

Cala Bassa is another gorgeous bay with crystal clear turquoise water and rocks. Make sure you go there early, though! It tends to get really really crowded, which wasn't too nice, to be honest. Still, so so gorgeous!







Cala Salada

Even though we only experienced Cala Salada from a boat and for a quick swim it was absolutely stunning and I would definitely recommend going there as well. Same rule as for Cala Bassa though. Make sure you get there early enough.



Eivissa / Ibiza Town

Going to Ibiza Town for a day was another thing I've wanted to do since I've started my Ibiza research. And let me tell you, it was totally worth it!
Definitely take a walk in Eivissa's Old Town, it will take your breath away (well, it took mine, and not only because of all the walking). Apart from that, Ibiza Town is great for shopping and maybe for going on a boat trip to Formentera! Buses from San Antonio drive out to Ibiza Town every hour and it only takes around half an hour. So, no excuse to miss this great opportunity!













WHAT TO DO:

#1 Party and Night Clubs
It's a thing to do, I guess. The four biggest and best clubs would be Space, Amnesia, Pacha and Ushuaia. If you're into it, you'll find your way!

#2 Cafés along the Sunset Strip
If you're more like me I like a bit of an outside beach party with a good DJ (and no, he doesn't have to be called David Guetta, Martin Solveig, or whatever).
I loved Café Mambo for that reason. People along the pathwalk, by the beach and inside the café all raving to the sound of some pretty good DJs. That's all I want.

#3 Stand Up Paddling
A thing I've never done, but absolutely loved. You get a surfboard, but you don't surf. But you'll get a paddle and so you float across the ocean and into the sunset drinking Mojitos or eating fresh watermelon and coconut. We did it with this company called SUPboat Ibiza and we couldn't have done any better. Cool people, cool activity! (We even got to do some cheeky snorkeling!)



So yeah! Ibiza is a gorgeous island which is more than just party and night clubs and I truly enjoyed our very short five day summer holiday! ♥ Lisa




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen