Freitag, 14. Oktober 2016

A Guide to York




One region of England I didn't really get to see on my last trip was the Yorkshire area. So, of course, as I had a bit of money and time left, I hopped on a plane and flew out to see York, a city that's been on my bucket list for a long time.
And let me just tell you, I was not disappointed. Situated in the north-east of England, York may not be the biggest city in that area, bearing in mind that Leeds or Sheffield are only about an hour away, but it's definitely the prettiest one. I don't really know what better word to use to describe York, since it was stunning and impressive, but overall just extraordinarily pretty.
But keep on reading and you'll find out more about the medieval city. 

WHERE TO SLEEP:
Travelling solo there is no other place than a hostel for me. Of course, there are more comfortable options, but most of the time these options are more expensive and you don't get to meet any other travel fellows. Having done my research (on hostelworld.com, of course) I booked my hostel for this trip, which was The Fort on Little Stonegate, which is basically directly in the centre of York.
I shared the room with seven other people, which sounds like a lot, but since everyone had their own bunk with a reading light and two sockets, it didn't feel like eight people in one room.
The hostel's equipment and facilites are absolutely perfect. Modern, spacious bathrooms, a well-equipped kitchen, a "beauty bar" with hair products & hair dryers free of charge, and lockers in the hallways (which I loooove). So all in all, one of the better hostels I got to stay. 



WHERE / WHAT TO EAT:
Since food is always a big part of culture, I love to try regional things or dishes the city or area is famous for. So being in Yorkshire, I guess I had to try Yorkshire Puddings since I've never had them before. And, surprise!, I liked them!
On my last morning in York, I decided to treat myself to a proper English Breakfast which I then had at the Teddy Bear Tea Rooms. Looks good? Yep, it was good haha.





WHAT TO DO:
1) Walk along the city walls! It won't take you longer than around two hours to walk a full circle on the city walls, still sorrounding the historic city centre. And bear with me, the views are simply amazing!





2) Get inside York Minster! Even though the admission is quite expensive, it's absolutely worth it!
    Apart from the incredible inside of the minster, you'll get the chance to see different exhibitions, as
    well, which I think is a pretty good deal.
    If you don't feel like spending that much money on visiting a church, it's totally fine to just enjoy
    the gorgeous architecture from the outside.



3) Walk along The Shambles!
Looking for that Harry Potter feeling? Then you can't miss The Shambles, which is a narrow alley that takes you back to these Diagon Alley feelings!
If you do decide to go on a Free Walking Tour, however, you'll get some more information about the cute alley which actually rather disgusted me. In former times this street was basically the butchers' street and all those cute little hooks you might see at the front of the houses were merely used to hang dead pigs and the such. Yum! Now, you can go buy Fudge on that street!





4) Just take a city walk and explore! York isn't a real big city, so it's easy to just walk around and discover different things staring at the gorgeous old buildings. (That's what I did.)









5) Join a Ghost Hunt Tour! (http://www.ghosthunt.co.uk/)
We've had the best time joining the Ghost Walk Tour which starts every night at 7.30 pm in the Shambles.
Even if you're easily frightened, it's still entertaining and fun to do. Also, given the fact that even kids can joy, you will survive this!
The guide was absolutely hilarious! Didn't break character once, so I guess he must be a pretty good actor. Basically, the tour is about different stories based on "acutal events"/myths, I should say, which are told in a funny way. Definitely worth the 6 Pounds admission. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen